October 1

Welcome to October

Hello All,

It has been my true pleasure getting to know your children in grade five along with their friends and siblings throughout the school. 

We are now into October and we are well into our curriculum studies in all subjects.

It was very impressive to see so many orange shirts  throughout the school on Friday. As a student of Indigenous Studies, …awareness is everything!

In both grade five Science classes,  students are well under way creating 3D models in the Maker Space so that we can have a 3D model of human organs and other body parts.

The Social Studies class has almost wrapped up all of the individual and partner presentations stemming from the artifacts found in the museum Discovery Box on loan from the Canadian Museum of History.  Next we are investigating the Haudenosaunee long house and Village.

students will be investigating and Gathering a list off materials need to make a scaled model off a long hose in hopes for us to create a small village.

In math, we have started the Algebra unit and our resource teacher, Miss Cleveland has been in introducing the concept of Algebra through patterns, variables, and constants.  The students have been working through expressions and equations.  Homework was assigned last week to help the students remember and recall number sense rounding. 

In ELA, the students have been working on character traits and diving deeper into the author’s intended description off the characters found in Wonder.  To show their understanding, the students had to write a short paragraph introducing and developing a character with a set of predetermined traits often found about characters in a Grade 5 level novel.

REMINDERS: Some of the grade 5 boys are off Monday to a soccer tournament and the girls will be playing Wednesday October 4th. Good Luck!

Sukkot Activities are planned throughout the week, stay tuned for various teachers posting and the schools media posts 

Chess Club starts this Monday at lunch in the Maker Space and I will be heading up as the on-site teacher. 

Photos coming soon.

Posted October 1, 2023 by cwatters23 in category General Information

About the Author

I am a developing teacher with many years of experience teaching at all age levels. I was born and raised in Nova Scotia and as a younger adult I served in the Canadian Navy. I retired in 2011 and moved to Baltimore, Maryland where I graduated from Towson University with my teaching education. I have taught in Halifax, New Hampshire and most recently, I taught at a local Forest school and a Montessori high school.