September 17

Visual, Auditory or Kinesthetic Learner…Which one are you?

Last Friday, we had our first session with Mrs. Reichstein. We filled out a survey in order to help in identifying which type of learner we are. It was fascinating to see students identify with the results. What was interesting is that not one person was completely dominant in one area. This is important in realizing that different strategies will work for each of us at different times and in different subjects. The important thing is to begin recognizing what works best for us as individuals most of the time.

Today, Mrs. Reichstein was back in the class, with three different stations. The goal was to now show students (and me) how the same task could be completed in different ways, depending on the type of learner you are. For example, when learning about the human body, a visual learner may benefit from looking at labelled diagrams of a skeleton or watching a movie about bones. An auditory learner may benefit from saying the names of the bones out loud and making connections to previous knowledge (“My patella is my kneecap.”) A kinesthetic learner may benefit from an interactive skeleton, where bones can be removed and replaced in the correct place.

We can apply this thinking to every task we do in every subject. As I mentioned, it is my goal to think of these various options ahead of time and offer multiple ways of achieving a goal. However, the ultimate goal will be for students to identify what strategy will work best for them and implement them for themselves whenever possible.

If you are interested in taking the survey yourself, here is a copy. Please comment below letting us know what you found out about yourself and how you see this helping you in your own life!

G’mar Chatima Tova

Mrs. Thompson

Tags: , , , ,

Posted September 17, 2018 by melissathompson in category Language Arts