Friends Across the Sea Assignment from Morah Batya
These documents have also been shared to your email.
Interviewing Family Members
Recently we have been learning about the different migration paths of Jewish families during the 20th Century. We have investigated how the Shoah (Holocaust) affected these families. We have looked at families assimilation and integration as well as Zionism.
Please choose a grandparent or great aunt or uncle (if possible) to interview. They do not have to answer all of the questions, especially if a question has already been answered.
- Where were you born? Where did you grow up?
- What were some of your favourite activities as a kid?
- What was your favourite food?
- Did you ever go on vacation? If so, where?
- Where were your parents born? Where did your parents live?
- What is your profession?
- What was your parents profession?
- Was anyone in our family born outside of Canada? Where?
- Why did they decide to leave their country?
- Where did they move to?
- When did this happen?
- Was this usual for people to be moving or unusual?
- Did our relative(s) move alone or with parents, siblings, etc?
- Did they have friends or distant family members they knew that left their country as well?
- Did the Shoah affect our family? If yes, in what way?
- Have members of our family assimilated? If so, describe how.
- Do we or did we have any family members who were orthodox Jews?
- Do we have any family members who live in Israel?
- Would you consider your parents as Zionists? Are you Zionist?
- Is there something else you’d like to tell me that I did not ask?
Due Dates for Interview assignment:
Monday, November 5: Tell Morah Batya who you will interview.
When and how will the interview take place?
(In person, telephone, skype, Facetime)
Monday, November 12: Interview completed
Friday, November 16: Interview transcribed (type answers)
Monday, November 19: Hand in finished product.
This can include:
-a very brief google slides document
-a picture of your interviewee attached to typed interview
-a news article you create about your family member
-any other way you’d like to present your finished product
Please ask questions far in advance of due dates. I am happy to help you in any way you may need.